What help do you need?

Help with your

Learn more

Help with your

Learn more

Claims Assistance

Learn more

Help with your device

  • Getting Started


    The handy installation leaflet you receive when you first take out your policy takes you through how to fit your device. Simply follow the steps outlined and you will be set up in no time.

    What next after I have fitted my device?

    You’ll get an email from ChilliDrive to confirm if installation has been successful and whether we are receiving data from the box. This may take up to 24 hours – so don’t worry if it doesn’t come through straight away.

    Not got the emails or struggling to fit the box? Just email: support@chillidrive.com

  • FAQs

    What does the red light on the self-fit box indicate?

    The red light indicates that your self-fit box has been securely plugged into your car’s OBD port and is connected.

    Changing your vehicle?

    There is no need to call us when changing your car. Simply plug your self-fit box into your new car’s OBD port when the ignition is off and make sure the red light is on display to ensure it’s connected.

    What should I do if the device is not working?

    Contact the customer service team on 08000 665 544 between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday.

    What if my car doesn’t have an OBD port?

    We also have a 12v device available for cars that do not have an OBD port. The 12v device can be plugged into your car’s 12v socket. It’s usually in the front console area but if you’re unsure where this is, you can check your car’s handbook.

Help with your policy

  • My Policy Explained

    Price/ Premium

    Why has my policy premium gone up when I haven't had an accident?

    The premium is not based on the individual, but rather the claims ratio (the number of claims made in comparison to the number of policies for individuals with a similar profile. The more claims made for that profile, the higher risk the individual is considered to be and therefore more likely to make a claim). As a result, it is possible for an increase in your premium at renewal.

    The insurance rates also fluctuate from year to year and the government can also impact premiums if there are changes in Insurance Premium Tax.

    Why is my new vehicle more expensive to insure than my previous one?

    There are a number of reasons why a new vehicle may be more pricey to insure however the most common reason tends to be due to the vehicle having a bigger engine or higher performance.

    Is it cheaper to insure a car with a smaller engine size?

    In theory, it should prove cheaper to insure a car with a smaller engine, however that is not always the case. 


    When is my renewal invite sent to me?

    A renewal invite is available 30 days before the policy is due to renew and is sent out to customers from the insurer to give adequate time to get cover arranged. Renewal notices are sent out to customers via post to ensure they do not miss it.

    Can I insure my car for just a few months?

    Most insurers within the UK only covers 12-month policies. There are a number of online companies which offer temporary insurance however, these types of policies tend to come with a lot of stipulations.

    I only drive my car half of the year; will this make my insurance cheaper?

    This is known as off road cover. Whilst there are insurance policy options available for this on the marketplace offering off road cover, this is not something we currently offer.

    Is my car too old for GAP Insurance?

    Your car needs to be less than 10 years old to avail of a GAP Insurance policy.

    Can I tow a trailer/caravan?

    Yes, you can tow a trailer/caravan but the trailer will only be covered for third party damages.

    If my belongings are stolen from my car, are they covered?

    It will vary depending on the insurer however most insurers will cover personal belongings anywhere from £100 to £250.


    How do I cancel my policy?

    Phone or visit a branch and we can process the cancellation for you. Some insurers will request your insurance certificate before the cancellation can be completed.

    Why do I owe money after I cancel my policy?

    If you have opted not to pay your full year’s insurance upfront, like most people, you will be paying with regular direct debit payments. This means you are paying the policy on a pro rata basis, so for example if you renewed your policy without paying a deposit, each direct debit payment you make is only covering the previous month.

    If you cancel a policy mid-month, there may not be enough to cover the outstanding finance. You will also incur cancellation fees from the insurer and the broker, which can lead to outstanding balance on the finance.

    If I cancel my policy, will I lose my No Claims Bonus(NCB)?

    If you have a full NCB at the time of cancellation, this will stay in place, however if you are mid-way through earning another year of NCB, that year will not be counted.


    My MOT has ran out, can I drive my car?

    No, legally you are not allowed to drive a car without a valid MOT Certificate and if you do so, you may face a driving conviction and fine.

  • Insurance Terms Explained

    General Terms Explained

    What is Commuting Use?

    Commuting is driving your car to and from one permanent place of work.

    What is an Excess?

    Excess is the first part of any claim which you have to pay.

    Both compulsory and voluntary excess are paid in the event of damage, fire damage, theft and accidental damage claims.

    You will need to pay an Excess when you are claiming for repair to your vehicle if you are at fault in an accident. If the claim is non-fault, the third party’s insurance pays for the damage.

    What are Short Term Rates?

    With short-rate cancellation, the insurer is entitled to retain a greater percentage of unearned premium (UEP) than would otherwise apply with pro rata cancellation.

    What is a SORN declaration?

    A SORN is a Statutory Off-Road Notification. If you own a vehicle that you no longer want to drive on a public road, you can avoid paying for tax and insurance if you SORN the vehicle.


    Why do I need an Add-On product?

    Add-Ons include products such as Legal, Breakdown, Excess Protection, Replacement Car and Gap Insurance. These are optional to purchase, however, provide a greater and more comprehensive level of cover in the event of an accident or breakdown.

    For example, if you have Excess Protection and are involved in an accident, you will be reimbursed your full excess.

    Similarly, in the event of an accident where your car is written off, the Replacement Car add-on will provide you with a courtesy car.

    Legal expenses will provide you with legal assistance in the event of a dispute after an accident.

    Breakdown cover will provide you with roadside assistance in the event that your car breaks down.

    Are my keys covered on my car insurance?

    Some insurers will provide very basic cover for lost, stolen or broken keys however they may come with paying an excess and count as a claim towards your policy.

    In order to ensure your keys are covered properly, with no excess to pay then it would be wise to purchase a standalone Keycare policy. Just ask our advisors for further information on this.

    No Claims Bonus

    What is No Claims Bonus / No Claims Discount? (NCB /NCD)

    A No Claims Bonus is the number of years you have accumulated without a claim on your policy. It gives a reduction in the premium charged for insurance when no claim has been made during an agreed preceding period.

    What is a Protected No Claims Bonus (NCB)?   

    Protecting your NCB means that if you have an 'at fault' accident, this won’t affect the NCB that you may have built up over a number of years. So, if you have an accident, the NCB remains intact even if your insurer can't claim their costs back.

      • Is there a cost to protect it? Yes, but the benefits often outweigh the cost.
      • What are the benefits? It is a good idea to protect your bonus as without it, if you are involved in an 'at fault' accident and you did claim, you could lose this layer of protection and it could increase your premium.
      • When can I protect my bonus? This varies from insurer. Most start from 4 years, which means you must have car insurance (with any insurer) for 4 years before you can protect it.
      • Can I protect my bonus during the year?  No, once the policy has begun you cannot add NCB protection.
      • If a named driver on my policy has an incident, will I lose my NCB? If the NCB is not protected then yes. If a named driver has an accident in your car and a claim is made, then as the policyholder your no claims bonus will be affected. 

    My No Claims Bonus is from a European/International country, is that ok?

    Yes, however it can depend on the nation that the NCB is coming from and whether or not it can be validated. As a broker we will refer this to the insurance company on your behalf.

    Will submitting a claim affect my bonus?

    If you have an accident where you are at fault, this will affect your bonus.

    If you are involved in a non-fault claim and it is settled non-fault, it will NOT affect your No Claims Bonus.

    However, any claim can influence the overall price of your insurance policy, it can even increase if you have been involved in an accident that was deemed not your fault. 


    MTA and Temporary Adjustments

    What is an MTA?

    MTA stands for a ‘Mid-Term Adjustment’ on your insurance policy. An MTA is any change such as a new car or a change of address, that will affect your insurance policy.

    What is a Temporary Adjustment?

    A temporary adjustment is best described as an adjustment made to your policy mid-term, which only lasts for a limited time period. For example, a young driver coming home from university for the Christmas holidays and getting added to a parent’s policy for two weeks is a temporary adjustment.

    How many Temporary Adjustments can I do per year?

    You will need to refer back to your own specific insurer, as each insurer may differ.

    What is the difference in a Temporary Substitution and a courtesy car?

    A temporary substitution and courtesy car would be classed as the same temporary change on a policy.

    Why do I have to pay extra for a Temporary Substitution?

    As we are a broker, we work with a number of insurers. Each insurer will have different guidelines when it comes to covering a temporary substitution.

    There is no set price that will cover all the insurers, each insurer will have a different fee and some may not have any.

  • Making a Change to my Policy

    Change of Address/Marital Status/Job

    I have moved house, do I need to inform my insurance company?

    Yes, we need to know this, as the insurance needs to match against where the car is kept (what we call the risk address). Don’t forget that you will also have to update the address on your driving licence if you have moved.


    I am moving to university during weekdays, do I need to inform my insurance company?

    Yes, if your car is kept at a different address to where the insurance is registered for more than half of the week (3 days or more), we need to know, as the insurance must match against where the car is kept the majority of the time (what we call the risk address).


    I live between my two parents’ houses, which do I insure at?

    You need to be insured at the property where the car is kept the majority of the time (3 days or more of the week) and your driving licence must also be registered to this address.


    I have a secondary occupation; do I need to inform my insurance company

    Yes, you must notify us of this as it will affect your insurance policy.


    If I get married, do I need to inform my insurance company?

    Yes, the name on your insurance policy should match the name on your driving licence.


    Can my parents /spouse discuss my policy?

    Another person can discuss your policy only if you have given prior authorisation to us for them to do so. We would note this on your policy.

    Change of car

    How do I change my car?

    You can phone our Customer Service team who handle all changes of vehicles. Please make sure you have the full vehicle details to hand.


    If I change my car, do I have to get a new policy?   

    No, the change will be processed on your existing policy. There may be an additional or return premium depending on the group of the new car, vehicle age and value. We will issue a new insurance certificate when the change is fully processed.


    My car is off the road and I am getting a new car next month, is that ok?

    Depending on your insurer, it will vary on how long they will allow. For example, some insurers may allow approximately up to 7 days to replace the vehicle.

    Travelling Abroad

    Can I drive my car abroad?

    Whether you are covered to drive abroad depends on each individual policy and differs for each insurer. Check the terms and conditions of your policy and always check with your insurer if you aren’t sure.

Claims Assistance

  • Make a Claim

    How do I make a claim?

    At ChilliDrive, we use local accident management company Customer Claims Assist (CCA) for claims.

    The CCA team are here to help you every step of the way, providing you with the best service in what can be very stressful circumstances.

    For help, advice or if you need to make a new claim, you can call CCA 24/7 on 08000 28 28 70.

    If you need to speak with CCA about a claim that you have already reported, please call us Monday to Friday (9am to 5pm ex bank holidays) on 08000 28 28 70.

  • Windscreen Help

    What to do?

    Our claims team are here to assist you in the event you need to replace/repair your windscreen.

    In order to help you as quickly as possible, please call us on 08000 28 28 70 and advise that you are a ChilliDrive customer.

  • Breakdown Help

    What to do?

    If you have purchased Breakdown cover when taking out your insurance policy, you can call our Breakdown team 24/7 all year round on 08000 28 28 70

    Please note, no cover will be in force unless you have purchased Breakdown cover.

    This cover offers assistance if your vehicle cannot be driven as a result of an accident, mechanical breakdown, fire, theft or any attempted theft, punctures requiring assistance, wheel replacement, lost or stolen keys, keys broken in the lock or if incorrect fuel is used.

    Terms and Conditions apply. See policy handbook for more information.